Friday, April 17, 2009

We Meet, (in person that is) at Last!

On Wednesday I flew to Philadelphia for a business meeting. My friend Ann over at Adoption Geography graciously picked me up at the airport. While we had never met in person, when I threw my luggage in the back seat and hopped in her car it felt like two old friends meeting for dinner and a time to catch up.

The Internet is an amazing thing! Ann and I "met" last June, shortly after I accepted Hannah's referral. We started emailing after our adoption agency connected us so I could take some of Ann's documents with me to Kyrg in August and we haven't stopped communicating since. At a minimum we have this tradition of the Sunday night email - checking in on each other's weeks and how we are each surviving the wait. Funny, it always seems that when one of us is feeling particularly discouraged the other seems particularly hopeful.

Ann's friend recommended El Vez a Mexican restaurant not far from Independence Hall - it was awesome. We had some margaritas, some dinner and chatted about life, our girls, and future plans.

There is something very comforting about a friend who knows your pain firsthand. Ann is just that friend!

One of the silver linings of this not so shiny waiting period is the many virtual friends I have made. I feel so blessed to have connected with a group of people who advocate so tirelessly for the benefit of the Kyrgyz orphans.

1 comment:

Beulah Sorensen said...

Sounds like you had fun! Nothing better than a good friend and a margarita... :)